Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Reaching out to the youth...


A church sister approached me one Sunday and asked if I could gave a short talk on dressing for a group of 13-18 year old (the teenage group in my church). Hmm... I'm certainly not an expert in this field, but on the other hand why not. If we don't teach our young generation to dress appropriately, the TV, magazine, media and especially their peers are going to do that.

For me any teaching should be coming from the Bible as it is the source of knowledge and wisdom, well did God say anything about our dressings? Sure He did... especially to ladies, it is recorded clearly that we should dress modestly..... I searched the dictionary, modest means humble, unpretentious, simple, reserved in our speech, dress and behavior. Wow... it's indeed a big word.. now how do you communicate this to a group of teenagers who advocate style, fashion, brands, individuality....

I do not want them to have an impression that being modest is to dress like their grandmothers, pale looking, old fashion, unattractive and boring, in fact being modest is being ourself (unpretentious, genuine), simple and humble and that's perfectly nothing wrong with it.

Well, I got to know that this creative lot plans to organize a fashion show kind of session, they welcome feedbacks on the dos and donts which I think is good and serve as a good entry point for me to speak to them. God helps me to be an influencer to our future leaders in church and society and most importantly to teach me to be modest in my dressings as well...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin