Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Super hilarious question from my student

I've not been blogging about my lecture life but something spectacular happened this morning that I must blog about it. It is very normal that students asked me questions during, after or before lecture session. This morning I was teaching the topic about effective writing and we were discussing on the requirements of a good thesis report writing, the requirements for the introduction, body and conclusion of the whole write-up. Serious things here right? So in the mid of the lecture I decided to break for 5 as the session is real dry and I could see my students' mind have wondered....

One of my foreign student, a Thai young lady asked if she could asked me a question, well by all means go ahead, that's what I'm here for right?.. to facilitate her learning and furthermore we are doing "Developing Learning Effectiveness in International Business"... Below is our conversation (I have another male Thai student in the class as well)..

Student : Teacher, can I asked you something?
Me : Well, sure
Student : Do you know how I can remove my armpit hair permanently?
Yes... this is exactly how she puts it... amazing right?
Me : Startled... (want to faint already..)oh my goodness.. how am I going to answer that..
Me : Hmm.... I'm afraid I cannot help you with your problem, but you can approach some beauty saloon/center and seek their advice.. (at the same time I looked at my male student and see his reaction, it seems our topic of interest did not bother him, in fact he is now in our conversation too.. my goodness..)
Student : My friends asked me to shave.. but it's too troublesome...
Me : Err... yeah... I heard of the wax thing...
Student : Yeah, I know but it's not permanent...
Me : (oh yeah you want a permanent solution...) I think you should just go to the center and asked.
Student : I used to pluck it everyweek...so painful...
Me : Oh ya....
Male student : Oh yes I did observed girls with armpit hair... very weird..
Me : (what you expect me to say...), just smile at both of them...

I tried to change the topic from removing armpit hair to facial regime...(thank goodness it works!)....so we were leisurely discussing about the product that we use and blah blah blah... I quickly resumed the class and back to where we stopped earlier.... gosh.. I really need to be careful the next time I welcome questions from the students, aiyoh...

4 comments:

miche said...

lol...i guess that conversation makes everyone awake. :P

dorene said...

that's really out of topic for the class...well at least we know where their minds wondered to! hahaha! btw, laser removal may ensure permanent hair loss...

Little Inbox said...

While you are lecturing, the student's mind already thinking for how to remove her armpit hair liao lo, hai...no comment.

Wai Wai said...

Michelle, yeah it really did..

Dorene, how come you know laser can do the job?? Are you...

Little inbox.. yeah I guess my lecture is not that interesting.. this student confessed that she always have problem concentrating.. so not 100% due to the lecture lah..

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin